Saturday, October 17, 2009

New Jobs, New Friends, Lots of Fun!

I haven’t been blogging very much lately, not so much for a lack of things to say but because there are just so MANY things going on that I have hardly found time to breath. I started my AmeriCorps Program (Public Allies) two weeks ago and had a solid week of orientation and training and then started at my Partner Organization, Habitat for Humanity. I am charged with developing a plan for the A Brush With Kindness Program which is a program that does repairs and beautifications on existing homes for homeowners in the communities that HFH builds. It has been a LOT of info and responsibility all at once, but I am absolutely loving it and completely psyched about the next 10 months.

I also started coaching a Master’s Training Group at my gym, Lifetime Fitness. I love coaching, even more than I thought I would. We are starting off small but gradually increasing in numbers, but I don’t think it will be too long until we have substantial attendance. They are great people and I am having a blast helping them reach their goals!

A couple of weeks ago I had my first speaking engagement of Queen of Peace School in Mishawaka Indiana to the 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. With the risk of sounding redundant, I loved it! They were a great first audience and were attentive and interested the whole time. They even had prepared for me a list of thoughtful questions to ask. I really enjoyed the chance to share my experiences with such impressionable youth, but I wasn’t prepared to spend 20 minutes signing autographs afterward. I was thinking “Me?!?!? Signing autographs? Why?!?!” but I kept my thoughts to myself and dutifully signed their sheets of notebook paper. My message was simple: “Find your passion!” The last year of my life has been a rocky period of self discovery which I dubbed a “quarter life crisis” that I can happily report is over with, and which wasn’t resolved until I realized that Marathon Swimming is a very integral part of who I am and my happiness. Anyway, a couple of days after my speaking engagement I received a packet of letters in the mail from the QoP students. Let me share some of my favorite moments from reading these letters.

“You inspired me to chase my dreams and don’t let anyone get in my way. I’ve heard that before, but never to where a girl told me.” –Lilly

“P.S. You are awesomely awesome!” –Philip (Mr. Marc McAleavey should appreciate this one)

“Your success in swimming the English Channel was amazing and inspired me to be able to swim in my grandpa’s pond. It is murky and has seaweed all over it.” –Charles

“One day I want to be like you: brave, bold, and courageous. You are one of my idols.” –Dakota

“Not many kids get to meet famous people like you.” –J.B.

“You inspired me and maybe some day I will swim the channel too!” –Catherine

And of course:

“You’re better than Michael Phelps!” –Michael (not Phelps)

I wish I could share all the letters I received, but they are all so extremely flattering you would start to think I was making it all up. Thanks again Mrs. Korzan and the Queen of Peace students for welcoming me into your school!

That’s all I have for you today, but look back soon for a recap of the cold acclimation training I’ve been doing this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment